We’re committing to pray for the 9 days leading up to Pentecost this year (That’s 25th May-4th June). Along with Anglican churches, and Christians of many other denominations both in the UK and round the world, we’ll be spending time praying in a whole lot of creative ways.
You can sign up to Pledge to pray, along with hundreds of people from around the world here
And hear what the Archbishop of Canterbury has to say about the initiative here
And here in the Diocese of Winchester we want to help you as Children’s, Families’ and Youth Leaders to be equipped to help those you minister to engage with praying as well. So here are some resources to help you get stuck in:
Helping Children Pray:
The Thy Kingdom Come team have released a hoard of resources to help you do just this
You could also consider working with your local school to set up a Prayer Space. Sheila Hopkins, Children and families Worker in Milford On Sea, came up with these guidelines for how to go about getting up a Prayer Space in your local school:
• Build good relationships with the school
• Identify a key member of staff to support you
• Find an appropriate location to set up the Prayer Space and check availability
• Ask the head teacher to send out a letter to parents telling them about the Prayer Space (see http://www.prayerspacesinschools.com/ for sample letter).
• Arrange for a team with DBS certificates to help you
• Plan the prayer stations, using ideas from http://www.prayerspacesinschools.com/
• Think about what the children/young people will do at each prayer station and prepare resources
• Prepare explanatory words for each station
• Ensure that your stations cover the four areas of spiritual development: self, others, world, beyond
• Plan timetable and introduction for the sessions
• Set up and run the Prayer Space
• Present feedback to the school
Helping Families Pray:
Once again the Thy Kingdom Come team have been preparing resources to help you enable families to pray through the Novena. Here’s one of our favourite resources:
This family resource is designed to help and guide you in prayer through Thy Kingdom Come. The kit gives you and your family different ways to create space to pray for 5 friends and family members, you could also take the pack and adapt it for family to use at any time of the year. For the Novena time you can pray and grow closer to God together, as you lift your friends and family up to God with a fun and engaging prayer activity everyday, from Ascension (Day 1) through to Pentecost (Day 11), based on a daily prayer prompt and given theme.
Helping Young People Pray:
There will be resources coming soon from the Thy Kingdom Come Team – so watch this space.
Coming Soon – An 11 Day Prayer Journey for Young people and A session plan on Prayer for Youth Leaders to run with their groups
In the meantime, Sarah has devised some resources to help you engage young people in the Novena of Prayer through: Creating a prayer space with them
Running a Creative Prayer Event/Night of Prayer
Using other resources that are out there.